Sunday, February 14, 2010

Glucose Testing


I had done the 2 hour Glucose test screening on Saturday February 13, 2010. I got to the lab at 7:55AM to begin the test around 8:10AM (they had to check everyone in, too). I had done this test about 3 times before this so I knew what I was getting in to! I got in there, had my blood drawn to begin at a base level, then sat down.

About 20 minutes after I drank 10oz of the gross orange glucose drink I began to feel my stomach getting upset. I asked the nurse where the bathroom was and she pointed around the corner. Needless to say...I went in and out of there the entire time!

An hour passes and the phlebotomist draws my blood again to see how my body is processing the sugar. Still stomach upsets...gas, bloating and frequent bathroom trips!

Another hour passes and the phlebotomist draws my blood for the final time. I had to go to work right after this and at this point I was wondering if I'd be able to work my full shift feeling this way.

I arrived at work feeling nauseous, dizzy, headache and still the urge to go to the bathroom. Thankfully, one of my employees was scheduled in at 11:00AM and it was 10:30AM when I arrived. I was only alone there for 30 minutes. When she got there she took one look at me and knew something was wrong. I don't know if it was evident by the 3 tiny band-aids I put over the needle marks on my hands, or if it was the complete loss of energy in my eyes.

She is Hypoglycemic and is familiar with the look of sugar withdrawal! I told her I hadn't eaten yet and she said "Dude, you gotta eat or you'll pass out!". So I took her advice and went to Dunkin' Donuts to get some food. I work in a mall, so as I was standing on the down escalator I started to feel really cold. I had clamby hands, sweating, dizzy, nauseous and then I started in with "tunnel vision" - it felt like I was going to black out. I got to DD and ordered a plain bagel with veggie cream cheese...needless to say I HOUSED that bagel!!! I don't even know if I breathed while I ate it hahahaha!!!!!

Even after eating the bagel I felt the same. Still shaking at this point too. I called my doctor.

The nurse on call told me "You need to eat! You need to have OJ, protein and sugar...FAST! Or else you're going to pass out!" No one told me this at the lab.....I was pissed. Pissed, but sort of glad because I got to eat a shit load of candy with a free pass. I bought about $9.00 worth of loose candy from the Sweet Shoppe in the mall, got Gatorade and OJ also.

After eating the sugar I began to feel a little bit better, but still not 100%. My blood sugar was still not regulated. My employee said, "You need protein to keep your blood sugar regulated." so I had about 1/4 cup of mixed nuts. Didn't help.

At this point it has been 5 hours and I'm still feeling this way. Normally at work I'm energetic, fun and upbeat. Today I was lethargic and felt in the way for the 5-6 hours this was going on. I called the doctor again and this time got the On Call Doctor.

You'll love this part...

Now, I've been looking up "glucose testing - what to expect before and after" for the past few hours, so I sort of knew that this was all due to the test. HA! The doctor actually told me that I have a GI infection and this most definatlty does not have anything to do with the glucose testing. I said that to all my employees and they disagreed as much as I did. I know my body and I didn't have a damn GI infection...stupid. GRR!!!

So, it's not about 6 hours in to my shift and I'm feeling better. I went about my day with no breaks, I knew that if I stopped - I'd be out. I just kept on 'a truckin'!!

As of now, I look like a heroin addict because of all the damn needle marks! My veins are so small they can't get to any vein in my arms. Only my hands, and it's very painful.

BUT! It's all over. I'm looking forward to March 3 when we have our injections class.

No comments:

Post a Comment